Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Author Mary Gillgannon

I don’t know why, but I consider Wales my spiritual homeland, and when I set out to write my first romance, I knew it would be set there. I discovered a historical 6th century king and used him as the hero in The Dragon of the Island and a follow-up book, Dragon’s Dream. Quite a few years later I visited Wales as part of a trip to Ireland with my husband and son. We took the ferry across the Irish Sea to Holyhead on the island of Anglesey and got a rental car. My husband intended to drive, but after a few terrifying blocks, he realized he couldn’t adjust to driving on the wrong side of the road and the narrow streets. I ended up driving and somehow never got us in a wreck.

My favorite part of that visit was visiting an ancient passage grave called Bryn Celli Ddu. The 5,000-year-old grave is aligned to coincide with the rising sun on the longest day of the year. Despite being one of the most famous archeological sites in Wales, it’s tucked away among several working farms. I featured Bryn Celli Ddu in my historical fantasy The Silver Wheel, which is set at the time of the Roman conquest of Britain.

My next trip to Wales was a few years later with my daughter. My biggest thrill on that trip was visiting Deganwy Hill, which was the actual site of the stronghold of Maelgwn the Great, the heroic king in my first book. We climbed to the top of the hill at sunset and enjoyed spectacular views of the Welsh coast, including of Conwy Castle, glowing in the last rays of sunlight.

My third trip to Wales was with my husband, and we focused on seeing the countryside. Although we didn’t climb Snowdonia, we did climb to the top of a nearby peak. For someone who lives in Cheyenne, Wyoming, which has an elevation of 6,200 feet, it wasn’t too difficult. Snowdonia, although the highest peak in Britain south the Scottish highlands, is only 3,560 feet. We climbed in classic Welsh weather, but despite the mist and rain, it was thrilling to look out at the rugged, wild landscape and imagine myself transported back in time.

My most recent visit to Wales was my first solo trip outside the U.S. (One of my sisters was supposed to accompany me, but couldn’t because of a family emergency.) Traveling alone I could do whatever I liked, including visiting four castles in three days. I think I enjoyed Conwy Castle most of all. The views from the ramparts were spectacular.

I’m currently writing the second book in my Medieval Ladies series. This romance is set in Wales in the 13th century. Of course, journeying there in my imagination makes me yearn to return to the real place. Health and finances permitting, I’m planning another trip to Wales in two or three years. 

View from Deganwy Hill
Me on the ramparts of Conwy Castle.
Me on our mountain climb near Snowdonia

 Me at Bryn Celli Ddu


Me at the base of Deganwy Hill

***

 

Title: Lady of Steel, Medieval Ladies #1
Author/pen name: Mary Gillgannon
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press, 1/15/18
ASIN: B078CJZQN8
ISBN: 978-1-5092-1833-2
Number of pages: 317
Word Count:  114,000

Blurb: 

One rapturous hour sparks unforgettable passion between Lady Nicola and Fawkes de Cressy. But when Fawkes returns from Crusade, he finds Nicola enmeshed in a dark web of castle intrigue. Surrounded by enemies, the battle-hardened knight and the aloof, wary woman must rebuild the bond between them or a sinister plot will destroy them both.

Buy links: 







Excerpt: 

Fawkes’s eyes flared with violent emotion. “You forget. I knew Mortimer. He tried more than once to kill me. I have no sympathy for him. None at all.”
Nicola let out her breath. Perhaps now they could begin again, and he would stop playing this game of cat and mouse with her. She nodded. “I’m very grateful you understand. I’d worried you might have heard tales of me, stories meant to portray me as wicked and manipulative.”
He watched her intently. “Aye, I have heard tales. ’Tis good you saw fit to reassure me. Perhaps now, perhaps we can…”
He let his words trail off and the atmosphere between them shifted. His dark eyes no longer seemed stern and implacable, but smoldered with frank sexual desire. The tension between them altered, erupting with blazing arousal. Fire started in her loins and spread outward, making her skin ache for his touch. She tilted her head, awaiting his kiss.
He hesitated, as if even now he feared to take this final step and give into what his body obviously desired. Observing his forbearance, she thought for the dozenth time of how different he was from Mortimer. Mortimer had been a slave to his emotions. This man sought control at all times.
But at last he brought his lips to hers. The blaze took them both.

Author bio:

Mary Gillgannon began writing historical romance soon after she discovered the genre. She loves how these stories allow her to portray the excitement and high stakes of past eras, yet focus on relationships and create a happy ending. She’s written seventeen novels, including romances set in the dark age, medieval and Regency time periods. She married her own hero many years ago and has two children. Now that they’re grown, she indulges her nurturing tendencies on five very spoiled cats and a moderately spoiled dog. When not writing or working—she’s been employed at the local public library for over twenty-seven years—she enjoys gardening, reading and travel.


Author website and social media links:



24 comments:

  1. It's such an amazing experience, isn't it, visiting a place you've only inhabited while writing a book? My spiritual home is also in Britain, in ancient times, so I understand completely where you're coming from. But oh, the driving is a terrifying thing. I applaud you for tackling that on your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the driving is a challenge. I have to put myself into the right mindframe for it and then really focus the first day or two. I guess the key is to be highly motivated. By driving I've seen so many things I'd never have been able to experience on a tour or even by taking buses and trains. And I've been told that there are places you can take driving classes before you actually get on the road.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Wow what a fun adventure! Thanks so much for sharing. Ireland, Scotland and Wales have always been of great interest to me. One day I'll get there. Lady of Steel sounds intriguing. Wishing you success and oodles of sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tena. Hope you get your dream trip someday. Next to writing, I think I enjoy travel as much as anything. Although I don't have grandchildren yet. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. I find it amazing how travel shapes our writing! And I love visiting places through other peoples eyes, places I will probably not be able to see in my own lifetime. Thank you for sharing those pics! The weather looks more daunting than the roads. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the weather... I've really been fortunate on all my trips. I've mostly experienced great weather, even in Ireland. And the day after we "came off the mountain" in North Wales, it was gloriously sunny and warm. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures of a lovely place. Travel has certainly shaped your writing and what better place than Wales to set a story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish people realized how beautiful Wales is. Everyone knows Scotland and Ireland have glorious scenery, but Wales is forgotten. Guess, that's my mission--to raise public awareness. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful country! So many fantastic and varied experiences traveling to the same country. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I love an ancient setting and characters to match! My ancestry is partly Welsh and I have always wanted to visit. Your photos make me drool!
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is very interesting. I lived in Britain most of my life--some 40 years in fact, and 3 of those were in Wales, but my spiritual home is Wyoming where I go twice a year. Maybe we should somehow switch places!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those trips to Wales seem glorious. Thank you for sharing Mary. What a great excerpt. Your latest is on my TBR.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for visiting, Charlotte. I've been really fortunate to be able to travel and explore so much. Hope you enjoy Lady of Steel.

      Delete
    3. Andrea, I'm always envious of people who get to live in Wales, or anywhere in the UK. But even if we won the lottery, my husband wouldn't consider it. No American sports, you know, except at odd times of day. It's funny how our "spiritual homeland" can differ so much from where we grow up. Although I spent my early years in northern Illinois where the landscape probably wasn't that much different than many parts of Wales, at least originally. But I spent two weeks every summer in Wyoming visiting my grandparents for years. I thought it was great visiting a ranch and riding horses, but the land never called to me. My sister loves it though. She lives in Portland, OR, but considers Wyoming her spiritual homeland. Funny how it works.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed hearing your travel adventures to Wales, Mary. And such lovely pictures! Your blurb and excerpt are intriguing. I wish you the best with Lady of Steel.

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post, Mary. Thank you for sharing! I enjoyed the pictures and seeing Wales through your words. I've visited once, but long to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if only there was more time...and money. Such a wonderful world and so many fascinating stories. Thanks for stopping by, Mary.

      Delete
  10. A lovely post. I'm lucky enough to live near the Welsh border, and I visit as often as I can. It's a beautiful country with a fascinating history, and it's always great to meet (even if only virtually) others who love it as well.

    Tora Williams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lucky you, the Welsh borderlands--that's my current WIP is set. And the history is fascinating, if a bit grim at times. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Mary, those pictures are beautiful! I loved the excerpt. Best on yout book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ilona! Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. Great post! I love traveling and it's fascinating to hear how you feel so called to Wales. I'm sure you were there in another lifetime. Thanks for sharing! Claire Marti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire. This is such a great blog idea. (Thanks, Kay!) So many writers seem to enjoy and be inspired by traveling. Cheers!

      Delete