Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Author Cynthia Vespia

Tenacious!  That's a good word to describe Cynthia.  I first met her a few years back (and she probably doesn't remember me from that day, ha!) when she was teaching a class on writing fight scenes for my local RWA group.  I was enthralled, and amazed.  She kicks butt and takes names, just like her characters do!  I hope you'll give her books a read!

***

There is no place on this earth quite like Hawaii…at least in my experience. Granted, there are a few destinations I’ve not yet traveled to that can probably rival the island’s beauty but for now my choice of favorite spot is Hawaii. It is a dream destination for a lot of people but you really don’t know how majestic it is until you experience it for yourself.

Right when you get off the plane the air is different, the sky is different, and you get an overall sense of peace. I stayed at Park Shore Waikiki which was literally steps from the beach, shopping, the Honolulu zoo, and more. There was even a Starbucks next door but it really wasn’t needed because the hotel itself supplied the most wonderful Kona blend I’ve ever tasted. The hotel staff was friendly, attentive, and helpful and they made my day by upgrading me to an ocean view room.

My days were spent mostly on the beach but when I did venture out the International Marketplace wasn’t far. I also found many great restaurants within walking distance either inside hotels, or as stand alone.

Being my first time in Hawaii I wanted the full experience so I had the activity coordinator set me up with a traditional luau. A short bus ride later I was on the most pristine white sand beach taking in activities like spear throwing and then the luau itself. I also experienced the Honolulu Zoo where the animals were so close you could touch them. If I’d had more time I would’ve explored more. The one place I wouldn’t recommend is the Polynesian Cultural Center. It’s a far ride and it wasn’t that interesting to see. But overall I always sum up the experience as being the most unique of any other place I’ve been, and that includes Italy!

In the words of The Terminator… “I’ll be back!”



Title: Demon Huntress: Destiny Unleashed
Series and Book # (if applicable): Demon Huntress Trilogy #1
Author/pen name: Cynthia Vespia

Genre: Fantasy

Publisher: Original Cyn Creative Services


ASIN: B0107QCLUS 
ISBN: 1511777451

Number of pages: 240
Word Count: 55,000

Blurb: 

Even the daughter of the demon hunter has to learn the ropes...

Khalen Calabrese refused to accept the title of Demon Hunter or the duty that went along with it. Instead, she chose a life of adventure as a pirate on the high seas. Freedom, fortune, and glory were hers until the past came calling. Infected with a family curse, and with minions from Hell at her back, time is running out. Now she must take up the title she never wanted before the darkness claims her.

Nothing is ever easy when you’re the hunter of demons.

Buy links:






Excerpt:

The first time I saw the Padfoot it took the shape of a large white dog, a mongrel perhaps, with blood red eyes and a barrel chest. I heard the foul thing with its accursed chains scraping along the floor before it entered my chambers. It bolted me upright in my bed.

My father hadn’t left me much before his untimely death. What I did take with me came posthumously from the writings in his journals. As a great hunter of danger and demons he had charted his time tracking evil inside a leather bound book. There he dictated everything he and my mother came up against. The Padfoot had been mentioned in passing. Its ghostly presence showed up to the unsuspecting, in many different forms, as a warning sign. They say when you hear the chains it means trouble is on the way.

The Padfoot lumbered into the room but spoke not a word, merely stared at me with those red eyes and strings of saliva running from its burly teeth. I slipped naked from the bed, and Captain Robinson’s rough hands, and knelt before the creature.
When our eyes locked I knew immediately the Padfoot had come as my warning. Though what the warning was I did not know. The rose quartz crystal upon my neck burned my flesh until I ripped it off and tossed it across the floor. The Padfoot tracked it with his eyes and then looked back to me. Somehow the dog’s face shifted into the features of a man and just for a moment I thought I saw my brother Khalo staring back at me.

Fear drew me backwards and I crawled away from the Padfoot as fast as I could. It turned and walked back out of our chambers, its feet padding softly across the wooden floor and the wicked chains dragging behind it. I crawled back into bed with Captain Robinson which caused him to wake.

Immediately he began caressing my body. I wasn’t in the mood for his affections but I wanted to forget the Padfoot and the chill of a warning his presence caused within me. In essence I wanted to be anywhere but there in that reality and making love to Captain Robinson helped me to escape it. I’d used him for an escape for as long as I’d known him.

It worked. We ravaged each other like hungry animals. In time I knew nothing but the sensation of pleasure coursing over my body, his hands on my flesh, my lips upon his and my teeth gently biting his ears and neck.

Soon I slept. My slumber brought dreams that held dark and disturbing visions. Rivers of blood and torn flesh ran past me. I tasted the heavy iron of warm blood in my mouth. It was a fitful night and I woke with a start. Captain Robinson remained still next to me.

Daylight crept in through the cracks of the walls cascading light over our room. The heat of it felt particularly harsh upon my skin causing me to pull back into the shadows. As the sun illuminated our bed I noticed Captain Robinson’s eyes were wide open. I went to nudge him hoping he had just fallen into a sound sleep.

Unfortunately, he did not sleep…he was dead.

Not until now did I notice his hand clutching his throat and reminisces of blood dried upon a gaping wound. I recoiled and fell from the bed my mind spinning with wonder.
I looked down at my hands and found dried blood upon them as well and I knew at once it would match Captain Robinson’s own. My stomach churned with nausea. The Captain was dead and all evidence pointed to me being his killer. But I had no recollection of doing it. My worst fears were coming true.

None could know about this. If they found out I’d murdered the Captain I’d be hanged for treason. There was no more time to waste. Chances were the crew would be up and ready to leave port. I looked out the portcullis and my heart leapt in my throat for the second time that day.

The waters rippled beneath the Iron Maiden as it pitched along with fervor towards our next city to pillage. We were already moving. I had nowhere to hide, nowhere to turn. They would find me with Robinson’s corpse and without him around to protect me they would tear me limb-from-limb, but not before having their way with me.

I hadn’t shed tears since I was a little girl, since before my parents died. I didn’t shed any now either but I did feel the sting of loss. I enjoyed Captain Robinson’s company, even as slovenly drunk as he usually was. He had been the one man who came close to scaling the walls and reaching my heart. I’d learned a lot from him. I grew into a woman in his care. Now, like my parents before, he was gone and everything pointed to myself being the responsible party.

I needed to figure out what was happening to me and somehow I knew the presence of The Padfoot had been just the beginning. And Khalo’s face in my dream. What was he trying to tell me? I hadn’t spoken to my brother since we were children.

For all I knew the hazy mess of the dream had been driven only by pure intoxication and had nothing to do with Captain Robinson’s savage death. I couldn’t bear to look at his corpse any longer. His blood had drained causing his face to go gray but curiously I didn’t see any crimson stains upon the bedding.

Though I didn’t want to touch him, and the smell of his decomposing flesh turned my stomach, I moved closer to investigate. Small holes punctured the skin at his neck and the jugular vein beneath. No other wounds were visible, not even defensive marks upon his arms or hands.

Captain Robinson was too skilled to let someone get the jump on him, especially to inflict such an intimate wound. That only cemented my concern. I’d done it, there could be no other explanation. Except I didn’t remember doing it. I didn’t remember anything more than making love with him and then the terrible dreams. I almost wondered if someone had spiked my drink with hallucinogens.

I covered Robinson in the bedding and stood over him for what felt like an eternity. He’d been good to me when no one else had. I would never forget that. For now I needed to get off this ship to safety.

When Gryphant popped into my head I dismissed it at first. Upon thinking it through further I realized that going home made the most sense. I could find Paralay, he could help me. He knew everyone in that damned part of the world. Besides, staying on the ship would spell my death and I had no intention of seeing Captain Robinson again so soon.


Author bio:

Cynthia Vespia "The Original Cyn" writes speculative fiction that encompasses fantasy, the paranormal, and magic realism. Her characters are rich with detail and fabulously flawed which breathes life into them with a believability readers can identify with. Cynthia's creative worlds mesh together multiple genres which offers a cross-over appeal. Her novels are emotionally engaging, leaving hearts pounding and pages turning. She has been nominated for a "Best in Series" award for her fantasy trilogy Demon Hunter.
She has also turned her creative energy into Original Cyn Creative Services, an award-winning copy, design, and video source for the development of promotional content. With over a decade of experience her background has included feature writing for a variety of publications; web design; national marketing and promotional campaigns via print and copy; script writing; video trailers and montages for authors and entrepreneurs. Her creative work has won awards for "Most Artistic Trailer" Demon Hunter 2: Seek & Destroy; "Best Video" Bloodlines; "Honorable Mention" for Anti-Bullying Campaign, and a nomination for "Best Cover Design" Demon Huntress: Destiny Unleashed.
During her downtime she enjoys getting lost in a good book or movie, and keeping active through martial arts and weight training. 
Author website and social media links:

Official Site: www.CynthiaVespia.com
Creative Services: www.cyncreativeservices.com
Twitter: @cynfulcharm
Instagram: @cynfulcharm



No comments:

Post a Comment