Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Author Courtney Sheets

Let's take off to paradise on earth with Courtney Sheets.  She'll convince us it's hard to leave Hawaii not inspired!
***
Aloha e komo mai. Let me first say Mahalo nui loa to the amazing Kay Phoenix for having me here today.

I’m Courtney and I write paranormal romance. Wow, when you say it that way it sounds like I need an intervention. What does that have to do with my favorite vacation spot? Well, I’ glad you asked. I write Hawaiian Paranormal and my most favorite vacation spot in the whole world is my parent’s house on the Big Island of Hawaii.

I have been there many times, more than I can actually remember but I’m old so I can’t remember what I had for lunch last week ;) For me going to Kona is like going home. There is a lot to do on the island when you’re there and my absolute favorite place is The Place of Refuge or Pu’uhonua O Honaunau. The Place of Refuge is a sacred space, now a National Park, that was the site of a temple and King Kamehameha’s summer spot. If you broke the old laws of Hawaii, or Kapu, you were given a chance to save yourself from death. If you could swim across the bay and walk into the temple you lived. BUT, there was a catch. Warriors in outrigger canoes would chase you.

On the other side of the island in Hilo every year there is the Super Bowl of Hula, The Merrie Monarch Festival. Named for King David Kaluakaua, known as the Merrie Monarch, the weeklong festival celebrates all things hula with the Miss Aloha competition, kahiko (traditional), auana (modern), and keiki (kids).

What I love to do the most when I’m in Hawaii is swim. My mom and I go down to the beach, she snorkels, and I swim. Sometimes I sit on the sand and read. For me, Hawaii is home.

When I’m not in the islands I listen to Kapa Radio online and I pretend I’m there. Another addiction that feed my Hawaiian love is cheesy beach movies. Don’t act coy. You know which ones I mean, something from the late fifties or early sixties, featuring the curvaceous Annette Funicello and the manly Frankie Avalon in the throes of teenage hormones How about the ones with Elvis and his white swimsuit strumming an ukulele? When I pop Blue Hawaii or Paradise Hawaiian Style into the DVD player I am instantly taken back to the shores of my island home. 

In the first book in my Gods of Hawaii series, Hawaiian Guardian, my hapless heroine Gloria is confronted with the most delicious Hawaiian hunk when Mano steps from the ocean into her arms. She doesn’t even mind that he occasionally turns into a shark. As a paranormal romance novelist I get to cruise around in the rich textured world of Hawaiian lore and write about sexy beach boys and girls.

In the second, Fire Guardian, all American Jack O’Connor is discovering the mystique of a true island girl with a fiery lineage. Kalama Young is not your usual bikini clad goddess. She also happens to be the daughter of a goddess, Pele the Goddess of fire. Jack’s in trouble, but the good kind.

Is it any wonder I write beach romances set in Hawaii? The mystique of Polynesia and the hunky surf god has always been an attractor for me and my fevered imaginings. There is something so incredibly appealing about an exotic hero and I think a Polynesian warrior is as exotic as they get. A line I love from a cheesy ‘80’s film, spoken by Shelley Long in the character of a romance novelist no less, sums it up best for me. “If there is one thing women love more than muscles, it is brown muscles.” Give me a tall tanned delicious hero and I am set every time.





***


Title: Hawaiian Guardian
Author/pen name: Courtney Sheets

Genre:  Paranormal Romance

Publisher: Decadent Publishing

Date of Publication:  April 2015

ASIN:   B014OD5TW2


Number of pages: 156
Word Count:  60K

Blurb: 

When fiery and voluptuous Gloria Grant is betrayed and jilted by her fiancĂ©, her future in Las Vegas looks bleak. Only the land of her youth can save her injured soul. Returning to the lush Kona coast of Hawaii, she tries to help her great aunt save their family home. Little does she know what her help will bring…. Everything changes one night on a moonlit beach when a man steps from the foamy surf, out of her dreams and straight into her heart.

Dangerously attractive Mano is an ancient warrior, cursed by the gods to live as an aumakua, a shark god. He is a man torn between two worlds, destined to live in neither. When Gloria and her great aunt call upon him for help, he is duty bound to protect them. But his desire for Gloria’s golden flesh soon has the shark man wishing to stay on land forever.

Can Gloria and Mano break the curse and appease the gods? Or is Mano destined to return to the sea, breaking Gloria’s heart in the process?



Buy links:




Author bio: 

Mistress Courtney lives in that enchanted and strange world known as Las Vegas where she writes her naughty stories. With a penchant for Rat Pack music and Absinthe cocktails, Mistress Courtney can be found tooling around Sin City in pencil skirts and high heels. Hobbies include flirting with bad boys sporting tattoos, dreaming about owning a 1938 DeSoto AirFlow in emerald green, and singing torch songs to the full moon.

Mistress Courtney also writes dieselpunk noir and screenplays under the name of Seege Vega. 

Author website and social media links:
www.twitter.com/seegevaga


No comments:

Post a Comment