Saturday, August 17, 2013

My Sexy Saturday

My Sexy Saturday ( http://www.mysexysaturday.blogspot.com/ ) has provided a great place for authors to showcase snippets of their works.  7 words, 7 sentences, or 7 paragraphs.

      This week I'm sharing 7 paragraphs from my WIP "The Zookeeper".  Elizabeth Tanner has just found out that her ex husband, Juan, has decided to name his new baby after a recently deceased zoo animal that she was particularly close with.  Her nerves are near shot as it is, and when the detective asks her what's wrong, she just might lose it.


“Nothing that concerns you!  I don’t want to talk about it.”  She made no movement, and neither did he.  Just tell him the truth.  He’s just a friend anyways, and he’ll be gone as soon as the investigation is over.  After a few long, silent moments, she blurted, “Look, Alec, I can’t have kids.  I’m broken. There, now you know.  And, Juan and Molly are having a baby girl tonight.  They are naming her Renee Sheba.”  Her voice cracked. “Sheba was my lion, not his!  It’s not fair.” 

Alec sat with his mouth slightly agape, as if he had just witnessed a terrible accident and was trying to decide what to do next. 

He stood very quickly, raised her from her chair and wrapped his arms around her hugging her.  Hard.  Suffocatingly hard, in short bursts. 

Then he kissed her.  Just as hard.

She leaned back in surprise and he released the embrace.  She raised her fingers up to her lips, which tingled from the intensity of his kiss.

 “I’m sorry, that was very forward of me.  Do you want me to go?” He asked, his voice low and husky.

“No, I don’t want you to go.  In fact, please stay.”  I want you to read my mind and tell me everything that I need to hear right now.  “You’re not broken.  You’re beautiful.  Juan is an idiot. Any combination of those three would be great.
 
 
Here is the blurb for this story...
 
The Zookeeper
 
Elizabeth Tanner was raised in a Zoo.  Literally.  But now that Zoo is in danger, not only from falling ticket sales, but also from a mysterious illness afflicting the animals.
 
 Frank Adams, the newest Animal Care attendant, spent time behind bars himself.
 
 But, in this Zoo, even the strongest bars can’t hold back the truth.
 
 And the truth will be set free.
 

2 comments: