Friday, September 2, 2011

Firework

I attended a funeral today for a special woman who was a member of my writing group. Although I had not known her for a long time, I was touched by her dedication to the craft of writing and her spunky personality that shone in our meetings.  Today I learned that her birthday was Independence Day, which makes perfect sense because she truly was an independent spirit. 

Her daughter communicated to those of us in attendance that her mother’s dying wish was to see her novel published, and as a fellow writer that really struck me.  When I started writing romance a few years ago, one of the driving forces that pushed me was to see a love that truly would be “happily ever after”.  If you write a great love story, have it set in stone (or on paper as it were), it will truly last.  A book will outlast me and my time on earth.  If I were to be published, my story would be a legacy of hope in love for anyone who would read it.   I completely understand the emotion behind her wish. 

In honor of a fellow writer and believer in Romance (who was born on July 4), here are a couple lines from Katy Perry’s “Firework” (paraphrased):

You just gotta ignite, the light, and let it shine
Just own the night like the 4th of July

'Cause baby you're a firework
Come on, show 'em what you're worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh"
As you shoot across the sky.

Baby, you're a firework
Come on, let your colors burst
Make 'em go "Oh, Oh, Oh"
You're gonna leave 'em all in awe.

Even brighter than the moon.
It's always been inside of you.
And now it's time to let it through.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment